I finished writing this song about 26 hours after starting it, which I haven’t done in since like 2005. After the feelings of shock and exultation for converting emo feelings into song-form so efficiently wore off, I was suddenly at a loss.
Normally I would now play this song for my girlfriend and she would tell me which parts were stupid, but she’s working in Vermont for most of the summer.
Then, normally, I would play it for my bandmates and workshop it with them for a while and wait until we had time to start arranging it for the band (if there was enough common interest in it). The quieter numbers were a harder sell, and tended to only make appearances at acoustic shows, but in any case no bandmates here is Seattle yet.
Then, normally, I would rehearse and rethink it over and over and most people would never hear it until the band played it – if the band played it – because I would rarely make time for open mics between work, rehearsal, and other things going on.
But now I’ve got this blog that’s all about process and transition. And I’ve got a webcam on my computer. And I’ve got the internet. So here we go… 15 minutes or so after finishing this song I recorded it for YouTube: documenting the process, letting barely finished rough drafts out into the world. I’ll also debut it live to whatever open mic I end up at tomorrow night, though it will have to wait for Victory Music debut as I am collaborating with Richard, an amazing fiddle player, on “Up to You” this week.
Anyhow, here it is:
Comments and constructive criticism from songwriters out there is encouraged. As I said, I’m used to having other songwriters and bandmates to workshop these with, and I miss that. The things I already know need some work are some of the more vague filler words, tuning on the whistle solo (hey, it was my first time!), and melody at the very end on the alternate chorus.
So there you have it. Process.